The moral landscape of our nation is changing rapidly around us. With the Supreme Court set to rule on the legality of same-sex marriage and the issue of transgenderism in the news, Christians need to know how to biblically react and respond. With Matthew 19 as our guide, let us consider 5 things every Christian should know about marriage and gender:
- Jesus was not silent on gender. In verse 4, Jesus said that in the beginning God created them male and female. Jesus taught that there are only two genders and that they are linked with human anatomy. Therefore, we must not be silent with regard to gender. Christians who follow Jesus must follow Jesus’ teaching, submit to Him and boldly share this truth.
- God intentionally designed gender. In verse 4, Jesus quoted Genesis 1:27 and said in the beginning God created them male and female in His image. In Genesis 2:18, we read that the female gender was created as a helper for the male in order to be his complement. Gender is not based on a “feeling” one may have. God determines your gender and He designed gender and our bodies to be either male or female and gave us clues as to how we may clearly know.
- Jesus was not silent on marriage. In verse 5, Jesus said that a man will leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife. There is no discussion of a man leaving his fathers (or mothers) and being joined to his husband. Jesus is not silent and is perfectly clear that marriage is between one man and one woman. Therefore, we must not be silent with regard to marriage. Christians who follow Jesus must follow Jesus’ teaching.
- God intentionally designed marriage. In verse 5, Jesus quoted Genesis 2:24 and said that the man shall be joined to his wife and the two will become one flesh. In verse 6, Jesus reiterates this truth by saying, “They are no longer two, but one flesh.” Jesus makes His position on divorce clear when He added, “Therefore, what God has joined together, man must not separate.” Therefore, we must submit to God’s design for marriage. Jesus affirmed God’s command for marriage that it be between one man and one woman for life. Tim Keller said, “It is not so much a pronouncement of present affection, but a pledge of future love.”
- God’s truth may not be popular, but it is right. God is not interested in opinion polls. God’s truth is eternal and unchanging. Christians must not be embarrassed by God’s truth, but embrace it and submit to it. Therefore, we must not attempt to redefine what God has clearly defined. Woe to the nation that rebels against God’s design for marriage and gender.
Our nation is currently on a “slippery slope” of sin. What used to make us blush no longer offends us. What we once considered unthinkable is now among us. Take time this week to pray for our nation, our churches, and ourselves.